Water is vital for maintaining a healthy body- after all, we’re made up of around 60% of the stuff. It’s important to drink water throughout the day, and beginning the day with a glass at breakfast is especially beneficial to the body.
- Drinking water on an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning before breakfast, is a particularly good way of cleansing the colon, making it easier for it to absorb nutrients from the food you eat during the day.
- Chilled water can play a role in boosting your metabolism- crucial if you’re trying to lose weight. Studies have shown that drinking around 500ml of chilled water can boost your metabolism by 30% . This boost takes place within 10 minutes of drinking water, but reaches its peak after 30-40 minutes, so the best time to try it is at main meals, especially breakfast. Drinking water also helps to suppress your appetite, which is useful if you’re trying to cut down on snacking between meals.
- Water purifies the skin by removing toxins from the blood, and helps to maintain a youthful complexion by plumping up lines in the face and restoring elasticity. Make an early morning glass of water a part of your daily skin care routine and you should soon start to see results.
- Water is also one of the more effective ways of treating skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Prepare your brain for a long, hardworking day with a glass of water at breakfast. Your brain consists of 78% water, which is why dehydration often impacts your concentration and ability to process thought before anything else. Keeping your water levels topped up by drinking regularly throughout the day helps to keep your mind running on all cylinders.
- Drinking water helps in maintaining a functioning lymphatic system. This system works to keep levels of body fluid in balance around the body, and defends against infections. Beginning the day with a glass of water at breakfast, and continuing to drink regularly through the day helps to support the production of lymph, the watery fluid necessary for the system to work.
- Water relieves pain such as headaches and back pain which are often triggered by dehydration.
- Water reduces the risk of developing cancers of the bladder and colon by diluting the concentration of harmful, cancer causing substances which can be found in human waste, and limiting the time they spend in contact with the bladder or colon lining.
Image sourced: Joot Nelissentagsdrinking waternatural treatments