Cheese making is a rewarding skill to learn, which can take you on a delicious journey, not to mention saving you money and helping you to live a more sustainable lifestyle. But while many cheeses can be complicated and time-consuming to make, others are simple and ready to eat within 24 hours. Have a go at this recipe for a versatile and delicious homemade soft cheese for an introduction to the world of cheese making.
You will need:
1 litre (2 pints) whole or semi skimmed milk
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
- Bring a pan of milk to a gentle simmer, then remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Stir gently until the milk starts to curdle.
- Remove the curds from the pan using a draining spoon and place in the muslin bag, before tying up with string.
- Hang up the curds above a sink or bowl and leave overnight for the whey to gradually drip out.
- Unwrap the curds the next day. They should now have turned into a soft cheese.
- Place the cheese on a work surface and work in some flavourings. Try chives and crushed garlic with a little salt and pepper. Other delicious flavours include crushed peppercorns, basil and chopped sun-dried tomatoes, grated horseradish or finely chopped chillies.
This delicious, mild cheese is versatile enough to eat on toast, with nachos, in sandwiches and on top of baked potatoes or cooked meat. It only lasts a few days in the fridge, but it’s bound to be eaten up quickly!
Image source: Aavindraatagscheesemakinghomemaderecipesoft cheese